A switch operator poses on the Trans-Siberian Railroad near the town of Ust Katav on the Yuryuzan River.
Armenian women in holiday attire.
Catholic Armenian women in customary dress.
Girl with strawberries.
Isfandiyar, Khan of the Russian protectorate of Khorezm
Jewish children with a teacher. Samarkand.
Kush-Beggi, Minister of the Interior, Bukhara.
Man in uniform beside building, yurt in background.
Pinkhus Karlinskii. 84, supervisor of the Chernigov floodgate, with 66 years of service.
Railroad construction on the Shadrinsk-Sinara railroad near the city of Shadrinsk.
Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii sits beside the Karolitskhali River.
Studies on Lindozero. The breed of dog is a Laika.
Three generations. A.P. Kalganov with son and granddaughter, who work in the shops of the Zlatoust arms plant.
Three young women offer berries to visitors to their izba, a traditional wooden house, in a rural area along the Sheksna River, near the town of Kirillov.
Wooden Church of the Transfiguration of Our Lord. The village of Pidma.
Zindan prison, with inmates looking out through the bars and a guard with Russian rifle, uniform, and boots, Central Asia.
Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii was born near Moscow in 1863. Educated as a chemist, Prokudin-Gorskii applied his knowledge and skills towards the advancement of photography. He was especially interested in the reproduction of color, which at the time was a tedious and difficult process.
His collection features color photographic surveys of the vast Russian Empire made between ca. 1905 and 1915. Frequent subjects among the 2,607 distinct images include people, religious architecture, historic sites, industry and agriculture, public works construction, scenes along water and railway transportation routes, and views of villages and cities.
In 1948, this collection was purchased by The Library of Congress in Washington.